2.13.2012

Evolution of a Valentines Day Card

This will be Augie's third Valentines Day, but his first year to really celebrate the holiday. We are having a little get together with some of our swim class friends on Monday, followed by a party and Valentine exchange at his preschool on Tuesday. Naturally I found the process of handing out his first cards to be a very important milestone, and therefore should not be taken lightly. I was going to just go out and buy cards, but when I started looking at the options, I was less than impressed. I mean really, how can Augie adequately profess his love to the world through an over-commercialized, animated character that he doesn't even know exists? So I quickly realized that I was going to have to take matters into my own hands and produce a batch of cards to hand out. I loved the process, and I love how the cards turned out.  However, I do realize that it will probably only be a couple of years until we are forced to give in to the licensed character phenomena ourselves. In all honesty, had we come across some Lady and the Tramp or Finding Nemo cards in the stores, this post probably would not exist. Regardless, I will happily continue using any festive, preschool opportunity that I can to pull out the craftiness.

Here's the low-down on the process of creating Augie's cards:




1. take a photo of the most adorably photogenic little Valentine that you can find.


2. edit the image, add some text, print on cardstock.
3. trim it down to preferred size (I chose 2.5x3.5).
4. punch hole with a heart punch.


5. apply modpodge to the back of your cards, mount to decorative cardstock backing, allow to dry.

6. trim yet again, and you're done!

An easy, personalized way for your little Valentine to express his love to the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment